Rainbow is committed to serving and helping the youth within our communities. We partner with organizations to offer scholarships to area students scholarships and provide educational tours of our facilities.
Foundation for Rural Service
The Foundation for Rural Service (FRS), in cooperation with NTCA – The Rural Broadband Association, seeks to sustain and enhance the quality of life in America by advancing an understanding of rural issues. Rainbow is proud to support their Youth Tour and Scholarship programs, which provide opportunities for youth in rural areas.
FRS Youth Tour
Every summer, the FRS Youth Tour brings together high school students from across rural America to visit our nation’s capital and learn about rural telecommunications. Rainbow sponsors area high-school students on this all-expense paid trip which covers airfare, registration fees, tour expenses, and $150 in spending money. This is valued at over $1,800. Watch a video from the 2015 tour.
Applications for 2017 are now being accepted and are due back to Rainbow by March 1.
- Who’s eligible:
- High School students, age 16 or 17 years old at the time of the Youth Tour
- Parents or guardian of student must receive service from Rainbow Communications
- What you’ll see & do:
- The U.S. Capitol
- The White House
- Arlington National Cemetery
- The Lincoln Memorial
- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- Mount Vernon
- WWII Memorial
- The Smithsonian Museums
- What you’ll learn:
- How the legislative process and our government works from people who work on Capitol Hill and the FCC
- An overview of the telecommunication industry
- The history of our nation’s capitol: Washington, D.C.
Through its various programs and initiatives, FRS strongly supports the continuing education of rural youth. In 2016, FRS will award one scholarship per geographic region of the NTCA membership and one to a student sponsored by an NTCA associate member.
The Foundation for Rural Service (FRS) will award $2,500 scholarships to rural high school seniors, one per geographic region of the NCTA membership and one to a student sponsored by an NTCA associate member. The remaining awards will be distributed proportionate to the number of applications received from each NCTA region. FRS will fund $2,000 of each scholarship, with the Rainbow Communications providing the additional $500 match. FRS will also provide four Staurulakis Family Scholarships valued at $5,000 each, and two TMS Scholarships for $1,500 each. One Everett Kneece Return to Rural America Scholarship, valued at $2,500 will be awarded. The Colt Ford Scholarship will also be awarded with a value of up to $15,000.
- All applications must be postmarked to FRS by March 1, 2017. Applications postmarked after March 1, 2017 will NOT be accepted.
- All applications MUST be signed by either the manager, board member, or designated employee at Rainbow Communications.
- Parents/guardians of ALL applications MUST be a Rainbow Communications customer.
Applications for this scholarship are now being accepted for 2017 and can be downloaded here.